Question : Is there any commonsensical inference which is not on the basis of LOGIC or PRECEDENCE bases?
By PRECEDENCE, it is meant, things like – “Has this been seen or experienced before anywhere in the world? How many such cases would be there? …..etc.
And LOGIC includes Scientific logic like say gravity, electrostatic attraction/repulsion etc.
Consider this data – John is in the living room.
COMMONSENSE INFERENCES –
- There is a living room somewhere – with its components – a floor (this is implied by LOGIC – gravity), furniture (PRECEDENCE – how many living rooms have you seen without furniture?), ceiling (PRECEDENCE – how many rooms have you seen without a ceiling?), walls (LOGIC – by definition of a room).
- There exists a person called John. LOGIC.
- There is a house somewhere with the living room, with other room(s). PRECEDENCE; depends upon what you can call a living room.
- Planet earth exists – LOGIC – “planet earth existing” is a symbolic statement for there not being nothing i.e. everything (the planet) collapsed/in disorder.
- There is a certain date and time at that instance – LOGIC.
- John is smaller than the living room / there is space in the living room for John. Both LOGIC + CONCEIVABILITY PRECEDENCE. No one has been able to conceive “A inside B and yet A bigger than B”.
- Most of John’s body parts are in the living room. STATISTICAL PRECEDENCE. How many such people exist? (that too in houses).
- Someone built the house (living room). LOGIC SAYS NOT NECESSARY – it could be one of the solutions of the random natural processes. BUT NO PRECEDENCE of auto-building through natural process.
- John existed all the while from his birth till that point in time. SCIENTIFIC LOGIC / PRECEDENCE – Once a person dies, he cannot become alive again.
- John has a father and a mother. SCIENTIFIC LOGIC / PRECEDENCE.
- Someone owns the house LOGIC SAYS NOT NECESSARY (might be a haunted structure somewhere, no one went near to). BUT AGAIN HAS PRECEDENCE ARGUMENT – how many houses (or material things) exist which are not owned by anyone? (This point I am not sure of, in the sense – perhaps, even logically necessary).
- John is below the clouds. PRECEDENCE – No structure has been built which reaches upto the clouds. .
There are also some things which are NOT TRUE –
1. John is not in the kitchen. PRECEDENCE. Both – the living room and kitchen can be the same, logically speaking.
2. John is not outside the house. PRECEDENCE (living room outside the house). Or LOGIC if a living room, by definition has to be inside the house.
3. John is not having a bath. PRECEDENCE.
4. John isn’t cooking food. PRECEDENCE.
5. John is not in a vehicle. LOGICALLY NOT NECESSARY. BUT AGAIN PRECEDENCE – Vehicle inside a living room. How many cases have you seen of a vehicle being inside a living room?